Wednesday, October 26, 2005

What I Like

JF and Elvina came up with a theme - What I Like - and requested we do a post on it.Their request brought back fond memories.

This is the 2nd time in 3 years that someone has asked me what I like. The first was at my polygraph test during the polygraph interview section. My answer was 'I like living'. My polygrapher blinked. Not long after, I found the quote by Agatha Christie which sits below the title of this blog.

Hence, when I saw JF's comments to hurry and blog on the theme, I wondered if it was a tad superfluous for me to do so. At the same time, I do not think they were looking for a blog entry with 3 words in it - What do I like? I like living. Ok, make it 6.

It is not easy to blog on the stuff one likes. Had a minor headache trying to list them. Hence the words do not flow and the sentences are jerky. Please bear with me.

What do I like? Please see below.

1. I like living.
I like living and all that life has to offer. Life is beautiful in many ways - beautiful sunsets, full moons, stormy nights, quiet evenings, sunny afternoons, the terrible earthquakes, the raging fires, the destructive hurricanes and devastating tsunamis. Life makes you acutely miserable, wildly despairing and racked with sorrow. It brings hope for tomorrow, faith that things will be better, dreams to keep you going and freedom to explore, as far as your mind and feet can go.

2. Reading
Reading has always been a favourite past time. My favourite authors include Agatha Christie, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, David Eddings, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Tom Clancy, Ian Fleming, F.R. Rowling, Charles Dickens, Roald Dahl, Rudyard Kipling, Louis Cha and the list goes on. Sometimes I like only a particular piece of work, think Lord of the Rings, Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, The Magician. Currently am reading 'Beyond Cloak and Dagger' By Copeland Miles and 'The Duke of Mount Deer' by Louis Cha. Have not had much time to read lately. Have you ever noticed that it takes 3x as long to read a Chinese book? Make it 100x.

3. Solitude
I love solitude, especially at the end of the day, where one reflects on the journey in life so far, and the person one has become. Most people think I am an extrovert with too bubbly a personality, job interviewers included. They cannot be further from the truth. When you are the only child, you enjoy your own company best. Or rather, you learn to.

4. My room and my bed
My room is my sanctuary. It has seen me through my extreme emotions. If it could talk, I would need to enforce a gag order. Interestingly, there is no clock or stereo in it. Peace and tranquality rules. I love the round balcony in my room where I can watch the moon and stars at night or the world go by in the day. My parents will say I should list my bed as one of my favourite items though I beg to differ. Yes, I am one of those people who float to lalaland the minute their heads touch the pillow. One of those people who can sleep round the clock, wake up and go back to sleep some more. One of those people who are dead to the world when they sleep. *grin*

5. Music
My choice of music is very much influenced by my Dad. I am ashamed to say that my dad has heard of Westlife, Bread, Lisa Ono and many other singers BEFORE I've heard of them or even know they exist. Like what a colleague said 'Your dad is cool. You are not.'. There is a slight reversal of roles at home. My parents will turn on the radio. I will hollar at them to turn it off. I love Elvis Presley, Andy Williams and Englebert Humperdinck. AW and EH are my Dad's fav singers. Go figure. Oh yes, since we're on this. No one, absolutely no one, can do Moon River like Andy Williams. Go listen.

6. Musicals
I LOVE musicals. (My dad does not. He complains they put him to sleep. So I have no kaki.) Have not seen many due to high ticket prices. Many is relative, depending on which end of the spectrum you fall in. Would love to see more. Les Miserables was EXCELLENT. Phantom of the Opera is a sad imitation of the book. 42th Street had lovely dance moves. Oliver made me want to re-read Oliver Twist. Forbidden City: Portrait of an Empress saw me tearing and trying to convince my partner I was having a sinus attack. (I used up 3 packets of tissue...hahaha) Mama Mia had me and PY on our feet. The Sound of Music was a walk down memory lane. I think the movie was better though the movie was inspired by the musical.

7. Movies
Another love. I like shows that make you go all warm and fuzzy inside think The Sound of Music, Love Actually, Sleepless in Seattle, You've got mail. Yes THAT kind. I also like shows which make your heart race. Think LOTR, esp THAT scene where Legolas swung himself up the horse. You know, THAT one. I watched that movie twice I think, just for that scene. And the scene where they lit all the fire beacons.

8. Adrenalin
I love doing things that give me an adrenalin rush. Think karting, watching The Amazing Race/formula one/soccer, hearing the sharp short sound a cue gives off when you hit a cue ball, waking up in the middle of the night to catch those unearthly soccer matches, feeling the wind in your face when you rollerblade...the list goes on. Previously, I used to plan my social schedule around the EPL/World Cup/EuroCup matches. When you bring formula one into the picture, it made making plans on weekends difficult. My friends were quite patient with me then. I must thank them.

9. My Dad
Between both my parents, I like my Dad more. Which is why you will notice that I talk more about my Dad. He is my accomplice in crime. We do a lot of things together like drink, play pool, watch soccer, play mah jong, eat non-Chinese food, check out gadgets, read articles on cars. Sometimes I think I am the son my Dad always wanted but never had.

10. Odd numbers/the left side of me
I like odd numbers. My IC no comprises only odd numbers. My birth time is made up of only odd numbers. I favour the left side of me more because I was born a southpaw.

11. History
Studied the subject all my life. I never thought I would do it as one of my majors in uni. Life has a strange way of making you eat your words. Love Military history and Chinese history. My favourite dynasty is Tang. My favourite Chinese Emperor - a close fight between Li Long Ji and Ai Xin Jue Luo Hong Li. The former you will recognise if I mention Yang Gui Fei. The latter if I say Qian Long.

12. Boots, Indian/Peranakan heritage
I love boots. They do everything a dainty heel can do to an outfit and so much more. I have 5 pairs of boots. 4 black and 1 reddish brown. Out of the 4 black - one is 2.5' calf length, one is pointy 3' mid calf length. The other 2 are 2.5' short and 3' short. For the last 2, which pair I wear, depends on how long my pants are, and how much of a backache and foot pain I am willing to tolerate. My parents have banned me from buying more boots. I shall quote Oscar Wilde 'I can resist everything but temptation.' I love Peranakan sandals too. They are so pretty. The reason why this is not titled shoes is because I am no Imelda Marcos. I only like boots and peranakan sandals. Full stop. Period. I like the Indian Punjabi suit, Thaveni, Sari, Chinese cheongsum as well as the Nonya Kebaya. Am too short to carry off a thaveni and cheongsum properly. So will settle for the punjabi, sari and Kebaya. I love the Peranakan cuisine and culture.
13. All other things that fit not into the categories above
I love my friends. They have brought much joy into my life and have been very patient during my neurotic moments. What will I do without them. I love travelling and people watching. There is nothing more I love to do than sit in a cafe somewhere and watch the world go by. I like mental stimulation in the form of caustic wit, world weary eyes, being spontaneous...etc etc etc.
This has exhausted me more than I care to admit. Plodded on till I hit no 13.

Am back to office tomorrow. Hopefully I still remember my log in passwords. *grin*
Till then, life is beautiful.
Cheers!

4 Comments:

Blogger Elvina aka LaoNiang said...

Hey babe

I realise that you and I have a lot in common.

1) You write really well. Few people can impress me with their writing skills. You are one of them.

2) Music is my passion too. And like you, I am heavily influenced by my dad. That's why I wanna get myself a turn table - to play all the vinyls that he left behind for me.

3) Reading - my PASSION too! I simply adore Roald Dahl, Rudyard Kipling and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle!!!!!! Elementary Watson......

4) Solitude - A BIG YES for me. I lock myself in the room all the time if I am home. I am a hermit -though many people would like to think otherwise.

5) My room and my bed - if u read my latest blog on counting my blessings - you would know me and my bed go a longggggg way!

6) Musicals - Hey, it's not only wat I like to watch but it's also what I am doing right now! How wonderful can life be? As a mgr in the events and entertainment dept in STB, I am responsible for working with Broadway and West End companies to bring in those musicals you mentioned! Rent, Phantom, Les Miserables, Mamma Mia, Hairspray, Wicked, Sound of Music etc.

FYI - Phantom of the Opera is coming soon!

If you need a kaki - you know who you can date:)

For the rest - sorry - no similarities - but I think we are close enough. :)

Thu Oct 27, 12:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tie the yellow ribbon round the old oak tree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A pity we didn't have the opportunity to work a couple more summers at WATUSA. Otherwise, we would have muster those songs!

I like reading too! If I maintain the discipline to finish reading from back to back. Usually die off after chapter 1 or 2. Yes, I am still at page 30 or 40 of Philosopher's Stone! Haha.. Somewhat miss our shakespearen days with SR and LS!

Can I say that you like anonymity or rather a sense of mystery? No pic here! Nothing on friendster as well?

Thu Oct 27, 04:21:00 PM  
Blogger NA said...

Hihi.

Wats a southpaw?

I am a Sherlock Holmes fan, and I believe you are, too. Are you into Dan Brown's books too?

I dunno why but I felt very comfortable and at ease when reading your blog. It could be the blog template and/or your writing style (seemingly frank and unassuming).

Read my blog entry (Title: Watching the Greatest Epic of our Times... ) on how Legolas swung himself up an Orcophant. It may bring back fond memories of LOTR Epi 3. =)

I am a sociology student. Still am. Though not in skool anymore. It has been a pleasure meeting you.

Mon Oct 31, 04:21:00 PM  
Blogger NA said...

I sense also your gentleness and easygoing nature while reading your blog. But my senses have fooled me more than once. Perhaps you can lemme know if my perception is accurate (or not).

Mon Oct 31, 04:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker