Sunday, July 30, 2006

Manga Fantasies

A mother of 2 once said to me that every girl should know the story of Cinderella. I came from a primary school that believes every girl must watch the Ms Universe pageant at least once. I guess the rationale behind was the same. Evening gowns, coiffed hair and diamond tiaras are probably the cloest things that modernity has to princesses and fairy tales.
I still remember that we skipped maths, chinese and god knows what other lessons there were left in the school timetable to see Ms Chile crowned. As I grew up, I had less patience with such frivolities. But there was always a soft spot for this show.
If you have been following the papers, you would have read about how many have ridiculed Ms Singapore's choice of an evening gown. *shrugs* I wonder why people bother anyway, since we have no fighting chance in the competition. Much as we delude ourselves, we are neither as pretty, tall, graceful as the Chinese in China, the Indians in India, and the Malays in Malaysia. And of course, to be politically correct, the natives of the various lands of the various ethnic group that make up Singapore. Let her wear what she wants and have a good time.
What really surprised me this year was Japan's win for the best national costume. I think all these years, Ms Japan has always showcased the kimono for the national costume competition. To do otherwise, would be unthinkable. So my jaw dropped when I saw Ms Japan come onstage in a hot red ninja outfit complete with samurai sword and killer heels. If looks could kill, I saw many young male fans of manga as victims.
Now THAT is what I call taking a risk and pushing the borders of fashion. Ultimately, she looked like a million billion zillion bucks and not fodder for pantry gossip the next day. There is more to Japan than elaborately emboidered kimonos. Given her height and unJapanese looks, she would look totally ridiculous if she tried the submissive Japanese woman in kimono image. In that red ninja outfit, I could just picture her in a James Bond movie - as Kissy Suzuki in You Only Live Twice. ;)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes she was hot. Watched a compilation clip of her on youtube.

Sun Jul 30, 06:48:00 PM  
Blogger NA said...

Cool! =)

Tue Aug 15, 12:16:00 AM  
Blogger INVS 2.0 said...

Hi there!

Sun Aug 20, 03:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker