Thursday, June 22, 2006

8 more days to smoke free coffeeshops

8 more days to the day where the smoking ban is imposed in coffeeshops.
There are howls, shrieks and protests. Every self respective coffeeshop ownder is saying that it will affect their business because if you ban smoking, the smokers will not come to patronise them, buy their beers and eat their food.
Indeed!
Unless the smokers have suddenly discovered previously unknown culinary skills, they will definitely still patronise the coffeeshops. You cannot deny that most Singaporeans are lazy when it comes to having to cook. Especially when hawker food is widely available and relatively affordable.
Took grandmother to this yummylicous crab place in Ang Mo Kio today. Had to endure 3 young men at the next table puffing away. I searched for a no smoking sign and saw none. Unable to tolerate things any further, I remarked loudly to Dad that I cannot wait for the no smoking ban to be enforced. Thankfully the smokers took the hint and puffed in another direction.
I acknowledge that smokers have a right to smoke. However, puff as long as it does not affect the people around you. Non-smokers have been way too tolerant towards these smokers for the longest time. You grin and bear it once too often and soon it is accepted that you should grin and bear it.
Non smokers should stand up for their rights and fight for a smoke free environment diplomatically. No need to burn cigarette sticks and protest outside cigar shops. There are side effects to second hand smoke that non-smokers endure, and the effects are immediate for me. My nose gets runny, eyes start to water and I lose my voice complete with sore throat. I am not alone with such complaints. Second hand smoke triggers migraines amongst some of my friends.
Yet I am guilty of silently suffering smokers. Because some of them are my bosses, who have been really nice to me. Because some of them are friends and I wish to keep the peace. Because some of the settings are social and I have no wish to be a spoilsport.
Till one day when the smoke environment in a friend's office got way out of hand. And the only thing her Director could do was to send a mail to everyone saying that he will smoke outside the building from henceforth and encouraged others to do likewise. As for smokers from other offices who smoke in the common stairways, he would not do anything to keep the peace all around.
How nice it must be to be a boss and be blessed with such wonderful helicopter visions. So what if you smoke outside the buidling and others continue to do so internally? Does it solve the problem? Do you care that every single one of your staff uses the stairways, but not every one in the other offices do so?
You obviously do not. And because you are a smoker, the smoke does not affect you as much it does to your non-smoking subordinates. And because you have been such a wonderful boss, everyone suffers in silence together.
But I feel that you should have done more and could have if you really wanted to. Not come up with such a 'half past 6' email and hope that the protests dies down. Why ask for feedback then?
So I made my opinions known. And got rebutted by another friend who said I was making a mountain out of a molehill. There have been times when I have tolerated smokers and hence I have no right to speak.
So because of a few extendend trials of patience that I allow, I am doomed to hold my tongue?! Even when one is a short duration of smoke and another is perpetual everyday duration of smoke?
So now speak up I will. Smokers will try my patience and tolerance no more. If you lack social graces and common sense to see that your smoking affects everyone, it should be pointed out, albeit in a diplomatic manner, to you. I am not saying that you cannot smoke. Smoke all you want, as many sticks of cigarettes your wallet and health can afford you. Just be mindful that not everyone shares your lifestyle. Common sense is it not? Or is common sense not so common after all?
As for the misery in my poor friend's office...que sera sera. I hope it works out well for her, but I doubt so. Just when we thought that workers in Singapore only have to deal with retrenchements, structural unemployment etc etc etc. Looks like fresh clean air is now a priviledge and no longer a right.

1 Comments:

Blogger NA said...

Just curious, did you rush through this entry?

Fri Jun 23, 02:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker